Monday, February 23, 2015

The Squat Workout - Win

I just re-read my last entry for squats and realized that I left both my readers wondering how my squat workout was going.  Surely a big concern and despite my pithy words and quips that entry deserves an update.

Hopefully reading that entry gives you a full sense of what I was feeling that day.  It's not just working out.  It's not just lifting, it's a metaphor for so much more in my life.

Walking the weight out, holding it and walking it back in was the equivalent of saying "I quit."  "I'm done."  "This is too much."  "It's over."

My knee hurt just too much.  My spirit was broken.

I've not quit anything...or anything that I can remember, without my wife's help.

Squats are a metaphor or an analogy.  Please allow me...

A proper squat requires that you first get under a bar suspended in air, put that bar with all it's weight on your shoulders, push your butt back (key) and descend with that weight.  What happens at the bottom is madness.  It's a swirling cauldron of pain, despair and fear.  Newton is fighting you to keep that bar moving towards the ground.  Every single physical science argument tells that weight to go to the ground.  You grunt, you dig,  your glutes fire and you rise up out of that morass.  Every single rep you come out a new person.

Quitting while an option ,was not on the table.

So what are the options?

You can look at the guy quarter repping, you can make fun of the guy using the smith machine, you can look all around you...that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't fix the problem!  That doesn't clean up your house.

So what do you do?

You swallow your pride, you examine the failure, you look at the reasons and you plan.  You start over...

Starting over...

Starting over is a humbling process.  Starting over does not mean you failed.  Starting over does not invalidate your success.

Doing something wrong over and over...

Doing something wrong over and over...is insanity, especially when it's causing you pain.

You start over and work.

You work and then you happily announce to the world that you got 305 for 10 reps with no knee pain.  What did the guy next to you do?

I don't know and I don't care.


No comments:

Post a Comment