Monday, May 19, 2014

Where You Be?

It's been a while.

Let's be honest, this blog needs direction.  I originally started the blog because of my good friend Hank.  Hank is an encouragement, all around good bro and I like his style, so I did what any gorilla does, I aped him.  See links to the right for Hank's blog.

Originally I started it as a way to document my workouts, then morphed it into just my thoughts and now we're going into general rambling.

My lack of posting hasn't been because I don't value my 4 readers.  It also hasn't been because I'm not thinking.  Cogito Ergo Sum...Carpe the bass and all that...  It's probably because I haven't been very angry.  That part bothers me.  We'll get back to that...

I'm a pretty introverted guy, I put on the extrovert mask because it's what society and my job demands.  When I originally started this blog, I fashioned myself as a Doogie Howser typing away on his green screen and chronicling the day's issues.

This is the part where I'm trying to decide if you get two entries or just one entry.

Let's talk about something awesome.

Yesterday, I met/got a picture with Brandon Weeden.

For those that aren't aware, Brandon Weeden was the Oklahoma State QB that led us to a one loss season.  Notice I didn't say 12 win season.  The one loss keeps me up at night.  I can remember that loss vividly, it was to Iowa State.  I can remember it because I was working in Boston and my wife came to visit that weekend and I grew a bit as a person.  We walked the Freedom Trail, we went to Paul Revere's house, it's pronounced "Riveeh" if you're a Bostonian.  Also, Worchester is "Wooster", like rooster, but Dorchester is not "Dooster".  It's pronounced the way it's spelled...roughly.  Add an "h" sound roughly before the first "r" and you've got it right.

I know as the reader you're thinking me silly, but let's be clear.  That was a breakout season, despite the one loss we were still being talked about for a National Championship.  It was a debate that ESPN pretended to consume.  We were #2 in the AP poll prior to the loss and the loss gave the pundits fire to get Alabama, also a one loss team, into the debate.  ESPN sponsors the SEC channel...think about that.  Without the loss, there is no OSU or Alabama argument.  

OSU went on to play in the Fiesta Bowl where they beat Stanford, quarterbacked by Andrew Luck, in overtime.

SEC BITERS GET OUT!

Fast forward...Weeden was drafted in the first round of the 2011 draft by the Cleveland Browns.  He had a bad season running behind what appeared to be an offensive line that couldn't stop a high school team.  In March the Dallas Cowboys picked up Brandon Weeden.  He's now behind Tony Romo who may be out for a bit due to back surgery.

The events of yesterday:

After leaving church we decided on Chipotle.  Not before driving to J. Macklin's but as it goes with Baptists, we were late getting out so St. Ann's had beaten us to the restaurant.  We went to Chipotle instead.

Sidebar:  Overall if eating is your thing Baptist are good at that, but not so good on time management.

We enter Chipotle and being the Tier 1 operator that I am, I always watch the sidewalk and people entering.  Guy gets in line behind us and I look, then realize I recognize him and do a triple take.  He does the bro nod.

I think I mentioned it to my wife once or 400 times during dinner.  She knew the name but she'd never recognize the face.

Here's the part that I find funny personally.  I was absolutely star struck.  I've never been star struck.  I should mention that I've flown to LA a number of times.  I flown to Vancouver a lot.  Vancouver is called "North Hollywood" or "Hollywood of the North".  Yeah, I'm a big deal and I don't mind letting you into the business.

I've sat on planes with lots of celebrities.  My favorite was Jessica Simpson,  Monday morning, when she was dating Romo she was on the flight back to LA a lot.  She was always very kind and courteous towards the flight attendant and her fans.  Most of them seemed nice despite the fact that it meant me moving out of the way or some mouth breather leaning over my lap to get a picture.

We sit and enjoy our dinner as only can be done when a toddler has the palette of a...toddler.  Roughly $445 later we are all fed.  The chicken, beans and rice we bought first, was what she finished...We could've gone to Hard 8 and had good BBQ for that money.

So we leave, get Little Bit loaded in the car.  Loading a toddler, who is a good little monkey and always very curious, takes about 8 hours of the day each time.  Here's a rough draft of things I can complete while my daughter is getting into her seat:

  1. Prayer to ask God why he's teaching me patience since I never pray for it
  2. Prayer to give me strength
  3. Prayer to thank God for my daughter
  4. Writing another blog
  5. Reading War and Peace
  6. Reading Anna Karenina
  7. Writing a paper contrasting the writing style of Tolstoy from his seminal work throughout his life until he wrote his final masterpiece.
  8. Looking up the email for my English 101 professor
  9. Logging into my email and sending the paper
  10. Getting back a "B+" but it would've been an "A" had I referenced some additional literary works and cited my sources.

Little Bit loaded, I fire up the Dragon Wagon ( I need to think up a cool name for my truck because it looks like a mobile assault platform)...."lo and behold", Brandon Weeden is walking to the car next to me.  I roll down the window and say, "I'm an OSU grad, can I get a picture with you?"  He smiles and gives consent.  I hop out and we get the picture below.  I also asked him if it was cool that I do "the guns" since I didn't want to get him trouble with Roger Goodell.  Roger if you're reading this, that was all me and should hold no bearing on Brandon's conduct.



We chatted for about 20 seconds and I'm pretty sure that I offered to knee-cap Romo for him.  That's pretty much all I could think of to say since my ai'jin-pal, (The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett) Frankincense told me to say it when I was texting him during lunch.

Don't hold you're breath...you  might get another one this week.

1 comment: